Small Game Hunting Instruction

Copyright 2012 by Helenah Swedberg
This past Saturday marked the end of deer season in my area of Virginia. I have never spent so many days of a deer season afield before in my life. This season I took many new hunters out to pursue deer for their first time. Some of them got their deer, others bagged squirrels instead. All went home knowing how to shoot straight, track, and hunt. They all have bright futures as capable outdoorsmen and women.

There being only but so many days in the season, I had to turn away more students than I was able to help. However, there are still a few more opportunities to hunt before the end of January. Squirrels and turkey are still in season here for a while.

I've decided to offer a limited number of small game hunts through the end of this month. The plan for the day will be identical to the deer hunts that I have been offering, with the one difference of trying to shoot squirrels, rabbits and possibly turkeys rather than a deer. The same shooting lesson in the morning, same lesson on shot placement and anatomy, the same outing in the field to learn basic tracking skills. Then we'll set up an ambush similar to one we would use for deer. At the end of the day you will learn how to turn those dead squirrels into food and we'll cook them up for dinner. Most of the skills taught will translate directly to deer hunting.

The dates available include January 11th, 12th, 18th, 19th, 25th, 26th, and 28th. The cost is $200 per day for one student or $250 for two booking together. All weapons, ammunition and other equipment will be provided. You will also need to purchase a basic hunting license from the state of Virginia (an apprentice license works fine) for small game (a license including turkeys costs extra). We will be hunting in the general vicinity of Charlottesville, Virginia in Albemarle and Fluvanna Counties.

Why is the price $200 a day for small game, same as a guided deer hunt? Well, my costs are the same in terms of ammunition, gas, and wear and tear on equipment. Then you're looking at between 10 and 12 hours of highly skilled labor without breaks or workers comp. I suspect that a shift manager at Burger King probably makes more on an hourly basis than I do. Besides, I suspect that I'm the only professional squirrel hunting instructor in the US.

And yes, they taste like chicken.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Home - About - Order - Testimonial
Copyright © 2010 Hunting Blog All Rights Reserved.