Three Items

1. Yesterday morning I woke up to a fever, a hacking cough and a running nose. Walking to North Carolina did not seem like such a good idea.

I got dressed anyhow. Cinched up my pack. I stood in front of the motel room mirror and said out loud, staring at my own reflection, "I'm going to do it anyway."

Then I sneezed violently all over the mirror and bent over double in a coughing fit.

The OBX hike has been shelved until I'm back in good health. I drove back home, out about $200 for gas, motel and other expenses. I'll go back and follow through as soon as I'm well. Perhaps as soon as this Sunday? I'm going to look pretty stupid if I don't follow through with this thing.

2. We've had a rabid bear attack here in my home county of Albemarle, Virginia. Rabid bears are very rare and its nothing to panic about. However, I want to point out something about my quote in this otherwise excellent article about the firearm used to stop the bear. I based my description on what I heard about the gun over the phone. In the photos that I saw afterward, the gun used to stop the charging bear appears to be a lever action 20 gauge shotgun, probably made by Ithaca. Not a single-shot gun at all, but still very light for bear when loaded with the bird shot that I'm told they used.

3. I just got booked to speak about invasive species at the Department of State in DC on the afternoon of April 26th. Since I'll be in DC anyway, if anyone has an organization or a bookstore or something like that in the city and would like me to come speak either about eating invasive species or about learning to hunt deer for food as part of the locavore lifestyle, please email me at jack.landers@gmail.com

[This photo, copyright 2012 by Jackson Landers, has nothing to do with anything. That is my daughter, Ida, with her first catfish ever, which she caught a few weeks ago on a piece of fried chicken that she soaked in Pepsi.]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Home - About - Order - Testimonial
Copyright © 2010 Hunting Blog All Rights Reserved.