Hanle's Hunting Piece

Juliana Hanle wrote a very thoughtful article in Yale's 'New Journal' a few months ago and I regret that it did not come to my attention until today.

Her feature is centered on her decision to try hunting squirrels for food, having never done any sort of hunting before in her life. The experience that she describes sounds very much like that of other adult beginning hunters I have known. If you are thinking about taking this up as a source of local, free-range meat then I highly recommend that you read what she has to say.

Ms. Hale interviewed me for this article and I remember thinking as I hung up the phone that she had just conducted what was probably the best interview I have ever been a part of. It wasn't that I had said anything spectacular. Rather, she had clearly done a lot of research and she asked very good questions in a rational and methodical order. I say this as someone who has given a whole hell of a lot of interviews over the years to publications ranging from the Washington Post to foreign men's magazines with names I can't pronounce. Any newspaper or magazine ought to try to snap her up when she graduates from Yale.

[Photo copyright 2011 by Jackson Landers. I realize that the quality of this photo is not very good. Sorry. I have taken hundreds of pictures of squirrels and none of them are any good. They won't sit still.]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Home - About - Order - Testimonial
Copyright © 2010 Hunting Blog All Rights Reserved.